February 27, 2005

Nomad Museums

Nomads, Gods, and Life’s Instructions

The ancient Greek myths tell us that if you get a sign from the gods you have to act on it even if you don’t like it. So with this in mind I must move on. I have just been given one of those signs. The kind no one likes. The kind that railroads your plans. The kind that helps you see that ego can only get in the way.
This morning while checking my blog hits I found one from a Nomadic Museum search. Curious since I have been working with this idea for some time now I searched it. I have been researching my nomadic heritage, the philosophy on nomadic thought, nomads, and working on nomadic museums. Concepts both possible and less possible to see realized. So I was wondering what else might be out there?
No, I could not believe it, there it was, a nomadic museum. It was vastly different visually from my art works of one. But close enough conceptually that the world would now have a good idea of containers as nomadic temporary structures for the exhibiting of art. It is big and it is famous.
The nomadic museum by Shigeru Ban is located on Pier 54 in New York City. It will rest there for the next three months. The Venice biennale being its last home. One of the weightiest show cases in the world for contemporary art. And I am not surprised. The work of this brilliant architect trails behind him like a path of stars.
But the signs seem to be there when you need them. At this point in my work I have been waffling with the physical structure of my nomadic traveling art. My work on nomadic museums was leading me back to earlier ideas about sculpture. And as I was designing the container museum I was having underlying ideas about cutting into it, transforming it.
I had been working for some time on cutting into steel objects, tanks, drums, bins, etc. I would change these objects into sculptures and still maintain the language of their original identity. And these feelings were surfacing again in my work with nomadic museums. I was having doubts about the nomadic museum as a structure housing art. And I was becoming more excited about making the nomadic museum into art.
This morning the gods have shown me that the nomadic museum is done. My work here is finished. But they have also gifted me with a beacon lighting another path. My nomadic path is just beginning. Shigeru Ban, master architect has freed the museum allowed it to travel and be independent in ways a museum can’t. And I am now free as an artist to work toward sculpture that can roam the world. The monumental liberated from land ownership and museum designations.

monumental sculpture

No comments: